Thursday, April 22, 2010

First Smocked Dress

This is my first dress that I have ever smocked.  My friend Kristy showed me some techniques and stitches and I took it from there.  I had the pleating done, but did the rest.  I think it turned out pretty good.  I do need to let some material out or add some because it is a little tight.  I need it to fit Kate for a few more months!  I really enjoyed it.  When I was working on constructing the dress, I said to Craig, "wow, it actually looks like a dress". I am not happy with the snaps, so I am thinking of adding buttons or just make sure I do that next time and the back is a little shorter than the front, but it works and covers her up.  I am hoping to do more.  Dresses like these retail for $50 and up and I made it for about $12 or cheaper.  All it took was the fabric, thread, embroidery/DMC floss and I paid to get the pleating done.  That was the most expensive thing at $5.  More smocking and other projects to come.  I am also working on something else that I will tell you about really soon, so stay tuned!






And, on a side note, we made these cupcakes for my friend, Brooke's baby shower.  She is having a girl named Wren, so we went with the bird-theme.  Aren't they fun?!  Thanks, Martha Stewart for the idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment