Friday, June 25, 2010

Baby Basics

I have been wanting to do a post like this for a while and since Kate will be 10 months (what?!?!) next week and I know like 10 people who are having more kids, I thought why not.  Also, since I have made it through the second baby stage of motherhood and I kind of have an idea of what is needed and what is not.  A lot of things are based on preference of the baby and/or the mom.  Diapers, formula, bottles, pacifiers, wipes, car seats, strollers, pack n plays, etc.  But other things, I believe, really make your life easier.  Some I learned on my own and some I learned from Kimberly.  As a mom of triplets, she learned what needed and didn't need and what makes like easier.  So here we go...

Bumbo Seat and Tray - You can start using this as soon as they can hold their head up good and it is perfect for eating, playing, corralling, etc.

        

Cloth Diapers - I am a disposable diaper gal all the way.  The only reason I use these is for burp cloths.  Very absorbent and can be bleached for those yellow milk stains.

3 Toys - A baby doesn't need a ton of toys.  They play with like 3 and then they don't care.  They are mostly sleeping and eating right?  Trust me, when they turn 3, they they will want everything.

Snug and Tug Blanket - Most babies like to be swaddled.  Both my kids did and it seems to calm them down. However, not all babies will.  The best one I found was this one:

Snug & Tug - RainbowLove - Small

www.gomamagodesigns.com

Bottle Brush - Cleans bottles really well and works better than the dishwasher because face it, YOU are now the dishwasher.

Mattress Pads - Really doesn't matter brand, but get about 3.  You can bleach them, easy to change and they will protect the mattress.

White Crib Sheets - That new bedding is so cute, isn't it!?  Well, when that first blow-out happens and there is poop on the sheet, it won't be so cute.  Again, you can bleach them and they go with anything.  I love the Carter's brand because they are really soft, but am only able to find them at Burlington Coat Factory.  Any brand is good, though.

Small Portable Swing - This can work as a bouncer, you can travel with it and it swings.  Good deal all around and goes up to like 25 lbs.  I would have bought this and saved money and not got the bouncer.  I liked the Fisher-Price Take Along Swing:

Product Image

Playtex Cooler Bag - This keeps bottles cold for nursing and when the kids get older keeps juice and snacks cold.  Stick it in the freezer and it is all ready to go!

Product Image Playtex Fridge To Go Bottle Tote - Double

Fisher Price Healthy Care Booster - This seat is easy to clean and gets a lot of use into toddlerhood.  Adjustable heights and tummy space.  

Product Image Fisher-Price Healthy Care Booster
Wipeable Bibs - Summer Infant Bibbity makes the best bibs.  You can rinse them and reuse.  They don't stain and are great especially when they start eating solids.  Love them and I have many.  I got them at Diapers.com, but Wal-Mart online sells them in blue.

Summer Infant - Bibbity Rinse and Roll Bib, 2-Pack
Thick Cotton Bibs - These are great when you are just bottle or breastfeeding.  They absorb and lot and most of them have cute sayings like, "Mommy's Girl", "Daddy's All-Star".  Gerber makes good one.  They can be bleached too.

Gerber Thermal Blankets - Any waffle knit type blanket is great.  They are stretchable, soft and wrap small babies really well.  

Gerber 2 Pack Pink Thermal Blanket - Gerber Childrenswear  - Babies"R"Us
On a final note, there was no perfect thing or magical thing for me.  Everything just worked for me and my kids.  You have to find what works best for you and try it.  The baby stuff market is huge and I feel like I wasted a lot of money on things I could have lived without.  I even did that with the second.  Hopefully with the third, I will have a better idea of what is needed.  Sometimes, though something is just too cute and you should get it.  They are only babies once!

Disclaimer:  I was not compensated by any of these companies, though I should be!

No comments:

Post a Comment