Over the past few weeks, I have felt bombarded with something very disturbing and interesting. What I am about to talk about may make you uncomfortable, but God has been tugging at my heart to write this down. Have you heard of Fifty Shades of Grey? This is a book, a New York Times Best Seller mind you, that has been discussed and lauded as a great book. This book is pornagraphy. If you want a brief plot synopsis go here. Have you heard of Magic Mike? This movie released recently is about male strippers. If you haven't heard of these, you probaby don't watch that much TV and I applaud you for that. What you don't know, may be good for you! In any case, I am appauled at how recently Christian women have been reading this book (with much happiness) and watching movies like these and justify them as okay or helping their marriage. They are pornography. In the church we condemn men so much about pornography and forget to mention the women who "justify" reading and watching things because it doesn't "affect us that much". It does affect you. Images stay in our minds forever and written words can create images that last forever. According to science, images (and images we create via reading), go directly into long-term memory where they are indelibly etched.
I just want our hearts and minds to be pure and know women are being allowed to ride a slippery slope that men are not. Why should it be different? If you aren't a Christian, I am still saddended by the fact you have to fill your mind with sexual sin, but if you are turn away, RUN from it. Girls night out going to see a risque movie or discussing in book club is not what Jesus would want, nor your husband. Would you want your husband to go see a movie about strippers or read Playboy? We are then opening our minds to lust. Proverbs 4:3 states it beautifully, "Above all else, guard your heart, for everything you do flows from it". God is watching us, our little ones are watching, our friends, those who lacking in their walk, those that are seeking His love. A friend of mine shared this on Facebook and it is a great article worth reading : "I'm Not Reading Fifty Shades of Grey". Another friend posted this post on her blog and I couldn't agree more.
My desire, as much as I fail and sin and need rescuing, is to strive to walk in His ways. I have to guard my mind and heart every day against temptation. Most women have a knack for discernment and we must use that in a biblical way. If your friends are reading these books (and it is a triology) or watching movies that promote "justifiable fun" tell them it is not right. Or, if you have read or watched, ask God to remove thost images and replace them with things of above. He is greater than sin and the filth of this world. Please, ladies, let's guard our hearts against this "Shady Business".
Monday, July 2, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Girl...Good for you! It is so hard to speak about such a thing in such a public setting, and I'm applauding you for your boldness. God calls us to be bold. Thanks for joining me and standing up against this nonsense. Even when we DON'T want to weigh in on the discussion, God has a way of MAKING us speak up doesn't he! :) Love ya girl.
ReplyDelete